Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

RTW: Groundhog Day


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This Week’s Topic: It’s Groundhog Day! Pretend you’re Bill Murray in the 1993 movie—what book would you read over and over forever?


I may lose readers saying this (I know how passionate people are about Groundhog Day) but I never liked that film.

Wait! Don’t leave me! My distaste for a certain Bill Murray movie may make you want to pelt me with rocks but I promise I have other endearing qualities. I’ll share my dessert with you! (If I don’t like it.) I can quote almost any line from Zoolander! (So I’m a little rusty…) And I am crazy good at the board game Cranium! (Join my team or watch out.)

Right. So none of that answers the question. (Can I add “Grade-A Rambler” to my list above?) If I had to read one book over and over and over again until the pages crumpled into a fine powder beneath my fingers, I’d pick The Secret Garden.

I know, weird right. I kind of thought I’d pick one of my favorite YA books. I knew I wouldn’t pick Harry Potter because I’m guess that will be a common theme today and, well, I thought you’d like to see a different photo.

See:



Purty.

The reason I picked The Secret Garden is because…

A. It’s not too short. I’d love to re-read something like The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) every day until I die. But if I’m reading this every day until I’m 80, I need something that’ll take me more than a half hour to finish.

B. I remember my mom reading this to me when I was younger and wanting to do that—write a book that touched people and made them want to stay up super late just to finish the chapter. (Oh, come on. You really think finishing the entire book in one night was an option at that age? Please, I barely got a bedtime extension for reading.)

So there you have it. The book I’d read over and over. What’s yours?

Dearest readers: I love comments! They're pretty much the highlight of my day. OK, that's a lie. You all know that would be dessert. But they're the second biggest highlight.

I've noticed people commenting without URLs back to their blogs. That's fine to do, but I thought I'd point out the little "Link to your website" option when you comment. It's beneath your e-mail in the form. If you want to make your name a hyperlink to your blog, just click that option. And then I can visit you and follow you and leave gushing comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment