Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

RTW: I've Created A Monster


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week, Road Trip Wednesday the prompt was: Invent your own mythological creature.

I’ve never written a mythological creature into my stories, so forgive me if this would never fly in a real YA novel…

Imagine a creature with shaggy brown fur.

And beady brown eyes.

Tiger’s blood courses through its veins.

It's fingers are made of magic and poetry.
When the sunlight hits it right, the creature goes mad. It starts bouncing, shaking, talking nonsense.

The creature has catch phrases, of course, which makes it easier for movie studios to sell merchandise. (A creature quote T-shirt anyone? Why yes.)

Make the creature angry and it’ll say, “I will cut your head off, put it in a box, and send it to your mom.”

When hungry, the creature will growl,  “I am an F-18 and I will destroy you in the air. And I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.”

In response to nothing in particular, it likes to say, “I am on a drug. It’s called Creature.”

Now, I know we’re not supposed to cast our characters since getting a movie deal is mostly impossible and blah, blah, blah. But I couldn’t help it:


Believable, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment