Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

RTW: The Kiss


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week, Road Trip Wednesday the prompt was: Compare your first kiss with your favorite characters first kiss?

This one’s easy because my characters’ kiss is nothing like mine. Here’s how I imagined my first kiss:


That didn’t happen. (I also imagined my first kiss would be with Leonardo DiCaprio, but that also didn’t happen.)

This was my first kiss:


But, um, switch the roles here. Mmm…cigarettes and beer.

Right, so since I was putting my main character through hell (mwuahahaha) I figured she deserved a good first kiss. Like this:


Let me preface this by saying that you’ll see a lot of references to Eli being hot here. While he is physically good looking, she’s being literal here. Long story short: He’s sick and something I won’t get into is causing him to burn up.

“I wish I could see it,” I said because I didn’t know what else to say. I couldn’t understand how my emotions could swing so suddenly. My stomach twisted and flipped. Eli rested a palm on my cheek, and I couldn’t tell if I was blushing or burning up from his touch.

I looked into Eli’s eyes, and for the first time I noticed they were blue. Then they were shut and he was so close I could feel the heat coming off of his face. He kissed me and his lips were light then harder, breath hot. I shut my eyes and in the blackness I saw galaxies expand and twist. His hand moved to the small of my back, sending electricity up my spine. With every kiss, the stars tumbled around me like snow, only they were bright and hot. My skin was on fire and I realized at that moment how much I needed Eli to be okay.

 How does your first kiss compare to your characters’?

No comments:

Post a Comment