Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Monday, May 9, 2011

Sweethearts Review (Or, Why You Shouldn't Judge a Book by Its Cover)



I’m in love with Cameron Quick.

True, he’s not an actual boy. (We’ve covered my illogical crushes already.) He’s from Sara Zarr’s novel Sweethearts. Which you should buy. And read now.

Here’s the blurb:
As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also each other's only friend. So when Cameron disappeared without warning, Jennifer thought she'd lost the one person who would ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she is popular, happy, and dating—everything "Jennifer" couldn't be. But she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they both are confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.
I’ll admit I didn’t want to buy this book. It’s the cookie, really. It’s so pink and heart-shaped and sickly-sweet. It didn’t look like the kind of book I’d like. But here’s where that whole not judging a book by its cover comes in, because we all do it and a lot of times we’re wrong.

Not only did I really, really like this book, but the story wasn’t sugary in any way. It’s a bittersweet story driven by two amazing characters that Zarr masterfully crafts. I felt for Jenna and her longing. By the end of the novel, I needed Cameron as much as she did. I smiled along with her and I cried (yep, had to break out the tissues) with her, too.

What I love most is that Sweethearts isn’t a love story. It’s about friendship and childhood bonds and the way one person can change your life so much they take up space inside you for the rest of your life. 

Anyone else read this? Or any other Sara Zarr novels? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment