Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Friday, July 8, 2011

YA Milestone: The Dessen Date



I feel like I should pop a bottle of Champagne or something, but instead I’ll just tell you that I’ve gone through a YA rite of passage and I have an intense need to share it with my friends.

Remember when we were kids and we’d be at a sleepover divulging our deepest secrets, most of which involve our crush of the moment? It’s like that. (No, not about a crush, though I have met someone in the past week. But we’ll talk about that in a minute.) That is, what I tell you next can’t leave this circle of trust. Cross your heart and hope to die.

Okay, here it goes…

Up until last week I’d never read a Sarah Dessen book.

Don’t look so shocked. Plenty of girls my age haven’t done it yet even though we keep thinking about it every time we look at our to-be-read pile. I wouldn’t have even done it this time if it weren’t for our BFF Jessica, who said that The Truth About Forever was her favorite Sarah Dessen book and that Sarah Dessen inspired her to write YA and all. 


I know, I know. You’re all going to ask, “So, what was it like?”

Come closer. Remember, no one besides us can know. Got it? Okay, so at first I just added it to my Goodreads list and checked up on it once in a while. No, it wasn’t stalking! Give me a little credit, guys. Anyway, one night The Man was working late and I was too tired to write and not in the mood to watch TV or a movie, and The Truth About Forever was just… there. Like it was waiting for me to finally notice it.

One thing leads to another and I’m on page 135, totally engrossed in this guy, Wes, who’s gorgeous and adorable and makes you want to giggle like you’re 12. As the protagonist, Macy, would say: sa-woon.

Call me naïve, but I thought this whole thing would be a one-night stand. Yet after that night, I went back to my Nook and ordered another Sarah Dessen book. We’re planning seeing each other next week. I’m thinking dinner and Along for the Ride.

Meet me at my house afterward to dish over Swedish fish and Junior Mints?

No comments:

Post a Comment