Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

RTW: Finding the Time to Write


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: What time do you prefer to do your writing? Early Worm? Night Owl ? Any five seconds you can grab?

This is probably the easiest Road Trip Wednesday question I’ll answer, but instead of coming right out and telling you, I’ll show* you why:


8 a.m.
I’m sleeping soundly. This is bliss.

8:15 a.m.
My phone alarm is shrieking and all I can think about is whether or not throwing my iPhone across the room will really damage it.

8:30 a.m.
Okay, okay, I’m awake. But my God it’s nice and warm under the blankets.

9 a.m.
All right, time for work. And a half-ton of ice water (in a glass, not the shower) to shock my system into what I like to call the “somewhat high-functioning zone.”

9:05 a.m.
I guess I should check my email. This should wake me up…

11:45 a.m.
Sweet, it’s almost lunchtime. I could use some energy.

12:15 p.m.
I guess I’ll go grab food. Too bad it requires walking.

4 p.m.
Why oh why oh why oh why am I always sleepy at this time of day? Have I been cursed?

6 p.m.
Work’s over. I think a nap is in order.

6:30 p.m.
Nap’s done. Time to go for a walk read!

7 or 7:30 p.m.
Oh look, my carton of milk manuscript! I need to write. RIGHT NOW!

1 a.m.
What? It’s already one in the morning? How could that be? I’m in the “seriously high-functioning zone.” And I’m having so much fun whipping my hair around with my BFF Carly writing.

2 a.m.
Okay, okay, I NEED to go to sleep if I plan to wake up for work tomorrow, which I do. You’re getting sleepy, you’re getting very sleepy, you’re—oh, forget it. Just close your eyes and wait for sleep to happen.

So that’s how I fit writing time in. When you do write?

*I can’t guarantee the facts haven’t been exaggerated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment