Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

RTW: Beating Writer's Block

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: How do you beat writer’s block?

Writer’s block and I have a long history, most of which has been spent on the first paragraph of any story. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m one of the unlucky suckers who can’t move on until the first line, first paragraph, and first chapter work.

So I’m used to the block, and now I just have a minor problem when the words won’t come to me. Which means I end up first like this:


And then like this:

True story.

When it hits, I usually read. It seems the best way to take my mind off of the fact that my story’s going nowhere fast. Plus, reading always puts me in the mood to write.


Or I’ll vent to my husband. Usually that ends up in brainstorming, which usually helps me get over the hump. Usually.


Sometimes I’ll even take phone calls, which is crazy for me, not just because I don’t answer my phone while writing but also because I hate talking on the phone. Like, only a little bit less than I hate mayo.

What do you do to beat writer’s block?

No comments:

Post a Comment