Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Monday, August 29, 2011

Fall Book Club

Hey guys. Hope all you East Coasters survived the hurricane. If your weekend was anything like mine, it went something like this:

First you got the news that the entire East Coast would be hit by The Worst Hurricane Ever.


And then it came. There was rain.


Right, so it was nothing really. Which is fine with me since I was worried our power would go out. (Although, word on the street is New York and Connecticut, at least where my family lives, lost power for a while.)

Anyhow, today I have two orders of business to discuss. One I hope you’ll like. And one I like that doesn’t really have much to do with you. (Or does it?)

First! It’s back-to-school time coming up and that reminds me of those summer reading lists we were supposed to make our way through during our time off. (And which, being an obsessive compulsive elementary school kid, I always completed even though teachers never graded us on what I felt was—in the words of my 10-year-old self—a tubular accomplishment.) I read plenty of books this summer, but I think what was so fun about the reading list was that all my friends were also reading those books, and we’d talk about them in class. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, nerd alert.)


So here’s what I’m proposing. A three-month book club.* Here’s how it’ll work: We’ll read one book a month for three months. You’ll have about a month to read each so no one feels rushed. At the end of the month, I’ll host a discussion of the book here, complete with comments like OMG THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I’VE EVER READ and SORRY, I FELL ASLEEP AT PAGE FIVE. Each of you can write about the book on your blogs, leaving a link on my post so readers can jump from blog to blog and see everyone’s different take on the book.

I won’t pick the first book for you. We’ll vote on it, so leave some recommendations in the comments.

Also, book club will include tea and cookies, though you’ll have to bring your own. I hear cookies, when eaten with others over the internet, are completely free of calories.

I’ll give you more details as we get closer and IF enough people are interested. But you want to join in, right? You don’t want to leave me looking like a total dork up here, do you? I’m not above begging…

Second on the list! Look what I got in the mail a couple days ago:


 That’s right. The lovely Katy Upperman sent me the ARC of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Would you believe me if I said I haven’t started reading it yet?

Well, it’s true. This was a working weekend so I kept Mara stashed in a cool, dark place. I just hope it doesn’t give her post-traumatic flashbacks of the day some guy drowned her. Or choked her while she was drowning. Or whatever.

And, yes, this will end up in a giveaway sometime soon. Just SIX MORE FOLLOWERS, guys. I’m not even waiting until 300 anymore. When I hit 250** I start sending you presents.

So, who wants to join my book club slash fall reading program?***

*Or longer if people are into this whole book club thing, which would make me smile until my cheeks fell off. 
 ** Why not now? I have this thing with round numbers. It’s uh, it’s—let’s just leave it at that.
***Resist the urge to add Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? 

No comments:

Post a Comment