Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

RTW: Best Book of August

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: What's the best book you've read this month?

I’m over angel books. Well, that’s not exactly true. I was never really into them. I’ve read two major YA angel books and neither did it for me (I mean, fallen angels helping humans? Isn’t that what guardian angels are for?). So I was surprised that a) I bought A Touch Mortal and b) I liked it.


What I really loved here was the mythology. There are angels. There are fallen angels. And there are those angels stuck somewhere in between, always tempted to fall. It gets around the whole fallen-angel-falls-for-girl plot, which should be the equivalent to the demon-falls-for-girl plot. Only it usually ends up more like a guardian-angel-who-doesn’t-live-in-Heaven-falls-for-girl plot. Yep, this paragraph should give you a brain freeze.

The story’s dark—it opens with two angels trying to make the main character kill herself—and much of it centers on death and suicide. (There’s even a twist on the typical angel mythology to include people who have committed suicide.) All of that, though, adds a deeper meaning, another layer to what on the surface sounds like a typical paranormal romance.

Full disclosure: Yeah, the main character falls in crazy love with an angel after knowing him for a day or so. Sigh. But aside from that fact, the whole relationship and their feelings for one another are well done, and the pacing of the romance fits really well with events within the story.

Oh, and did I mention the twist at the end? Yeah, there’s one of those too.

I’d recommend this for paranormal lovers, angel haters, and anyone who likes their romance dark and twisted.

What’s the best book you read in August?

Oh, and I’m still taking suggestions for the Fall Book Club. If there’s something you’re dying to read, leave it in the comments. I’ll gather all of them into a poll so everyone can vote for their favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment