Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RTW: The Sidekick Story

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: What supporting character from a YA book would you most like to see star in their own novel?

You mean, besides this guy?*


Well it just so happens I recently finished re-reading Saving Francesca. I wanted a refresher on that story before I read The Piper’s Son. There were two characters that I absolutely loved, and I would probably squeal like a Bieber fangirl to read their own stories.

The first, is Thomas MacKee, who Francesca views as disgusting in the typical boy way (you know, burping in public and judging girls by their chest size). But she also sees a sweeter side that I totally fell in love with. Thats why I’m glad Melina Marchetta had the brilliant idea of writing his story, which is The Piper’s Son. Way to read my mind, Melina. Fist bump of solidarity.

The other character I’d love to read a novel about is Jimmy Hailler, who everyone thinks is bad news but who we see as funny and super sweet. He melted my heart at least four times during the novel, which is saying something since, as of this moment, hearts are incapable of melting, regenerating, and re-melting.

And I’d be an idiot not to mention Maggie Stiefavater’s Shiver series. To be honest, my favorite side character (really, my favorite character in general) does get to tell his story a bit. But I’d dish out money to read an entire novel from Cole’s point of view. No offense to sweet Sam, but Cole’s way more interesting.

What side character—or sidekick—from a novel would you like to read a story about?

Also! Last call for suggestions for the October book club. If youre up for joining, click here to tell me what you want to read. Well vote on the book on Friday.

*That is, Ron Weasley not Rupert Grint, who I’d also read a book about.

No comments:

Post a Comment