Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Friday, December 30, 2011

Class of 2011 YA Superlative Blogfest Day 4

Well, here it is. The final day of the Class of 2011 YASuperlative Blogfest. It’s been fun reading your picks. And let’s just say my to-be-read list is getting a tad out of control. I might be able to read all of the books on it before I turn 40. We’ll see how many I add today.


As for you, take note. These are my picks for the Best in Show category…

Favorite Cover

  
  
  

I couldn’t just choose one, now could I? For your benefit, I stopped myself at six. You’re welcome.

Cutest Couple


This will come as a shock to absolutely no one. The most adorable couple since Anna and Etienne is Lola and Cricket from Lola and theBoy Next Door. Really, we should just change the name of this category to Latest Stephanie Perkins Couple.

Most Likely to Succeed


I felt this way about Chime before it was nominated for a National Book Award, but the fact that it was even up for the award backs my argument. Which is: This book rocks. 

Most Likely to Make You Miss Your Bedtime


Truthfully, any book I read—unless it’s really not my cuppa tea—can make me miss my bedtime. But once I picked up Variant I knew I couldn’t put it down until I figured out the mystery.

Best Repeat Performance


It’s funny that my favorite follow-up novel is one that I almost dreaded reading. I loved If I Stay so much that I feared Where She Went would muck up the whole story. I’m sorry for ever doubting you, Gayle Forman. This was the perfect sequel and my favorite this year.

Romance Most Worthy of an Ice Bath


I won’t ruin Shatter Me for you, so I’ll just say this: The more appropriate category title for this book is Romance Most Worthy of an Ice-Cold Shower.

Pair Most Likely to Stay Best Friends Till They’re 80


Jordan Woods and Sam Henry from Catching Jordan. True, they might be more than friends by the time they’re 80, but they’ll still be BFFs. (Also, they’re understudies for the Cutest Couple award.)

Breakout Novel


The Near Witch is slow (in a good way) and haunting, sometimes creepy, and one of those books filled with sentences you wish you’d thought of. Like the first line: “It starts with a crack, a sputter, and a spark.”

Best Old-Timer


I cannot believe it took me this long to read TheSky Is Everywhere, what with everyone’s rave reviews. So to anyone who has not read this book, I’ll say: Do not be as idiotic as I was and wait to get “in the mood” for something that might possibly draw tears. This is a beautifully written story.

Most Likely to Make a Grown Man Cry


Speaking of tears… Going into Before I Die I knew the main character was going to die. What I didn’t expect was to die right along with her. This isn’t a one-Kleenex book. This requires an entire box. (I realize this was published before 2011, but it’s hands-down the most appropriate book for this slot.)

Most Pleasant Surprise


I mentioned this before, but I’m kind of over vampires. The only reason I even picked up Drink, Slay, Love is because it sounded funny. And it was. I was pleasantly surprised to read about a vampire protagonist who begins the story with no qualms about feasting on humans. (Seriously, why are all book, movie, and TV vamps vegetarians?) 

Most Creative Use of a Love Triangle


A love triangle for the sake of creating tension is supremely annoying, especially when you know who the main character is going to end up with anyway. But in Unearthly Clara has a good reason for being drawn to each boy. The first, Christian, is the object of her angelic mission, and she’s drawn to him out of obligation and a certain bond she feels toward him. That’s at odds with her feelings toward Tucker. While she loves him, she feels as if she’s abandoning her heavenly calling by spending time with him over Christian. The result: a major dilemma that doesn’t involve which boy is the hottest or sweetest. 

Sleeper Hit


I hadn’t heard of Touch by Jus Accardo until I saw it on Katy’s Goodreads feed. I’m glad I noticed. The book is fun and fast-paced but totally under-hyped.

Most Likely to Pull You Out of a Funk


Truthfully, I created this category in order to list this book. I loved A Need So Beautiful but somehow it hasn’t made an appearance during this blogfest. That’s a shame since it’s one of my favorite reads all year. As for the category, the beauty of what Charlotte does in the novel is enough to pull anyone out of a funk.  

Best Use of Dual Narrators


Here’s what I hate about multiple narrators: Often they sound so similar I’m unable to tell when the book switches from one to the next. What I loved about Notes from the Blender is that Neilly and Declan—who come together when their parents decide to marry—couldn’t be more different in character and voice. Neilly is gorgeous and popular. Dec loves death metal and fantasizes about Neilly in his spare time. Hilarity ensues.

If you’re playing along, leave your link below. If not, leave some of your picks for these categories in the comments.





And have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment