Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

RTW: Of Book Buying and Shame


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: Where do you buy most of your books?

I’m late to the Road Trip Wednesday party, but I couldn’t miss it. And pass up an opportunity for you guys to throw tomatoes at my face and call me a sorry excuse for a writer? Never!

First, you should know that my sister is a former manager of an indie bookshop in Massachusetts and now manages a Barnes & Noble there. As you can imagine, she’s not the biggest fan of Amazon.

In the olden days (last year), when I was feeling particularly ornery, I’d send her a photo of me holding a Borders bag because if you’re going to shop at a big chain store it better be Barnes & Noble. I guess that proved to be true anyway.


So there are two places I usually buy my books: from Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble online. Amazon is my go-to shop for paper books, and I like to tell myself that I buy more books on Amazon than I’d be able to buy (at full price) at a bookstore. I’m not sure if that’s true or just my brain’s way of easing my guilt over not buying from an independent bookseller.

When it comes to e-books, which I read a lot of, I buy from Barnes & Noble. And that’s really just because I have a Nook and therefore need to buy Nook books. In this case, I know for a fact I spend more money on books. It’s a very scary thing, guys. My brain just cannot compute that $9.99 is a cent from $10. Or that $10 times five is $50. Sigh.

Because I see you have more rotten food to throw my way, I’ll tell you one more secret: When I do go to a bookstore, it’s usually Barnes & Noble. I know what you’re thinking: SHAME! A PLAGUE ON YOUR HOUSE, EVIL WRITER! I know. But it’s about five minutes down the road and, considering it takes about 20 minutes to go a mile where I live, it takes much longer to shop at an indie bookstore.

So there. Hate me if you will—I’m nothing if not understanding. But before you sentence me to death by paper cut,* keep in mind that reading books in general is a good thing. Yes, supporting independent bookstores is important. Still, reading is better than not reading, and therefore I conclude I am not truly hopeless.

Where do you buy your books?

*Doesn’t sound harsh to you? I know how your mind works. First, you give me paper cuts all over my body using pages from a book. Then you force me to bathe in lemon juice. Then you rub salt into my skin. Death comes when you tire of my screams and just shoot me. Tsk. Tsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment