Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Friday, June 28, 2013

Pick the July Summer Reading Book



July is almost upon us!

I feel this is a very apt phrase for what I’m feeling because somehow June is ending and I feel like, well, July is about to launch itself on top of us. Like, next week July will literally be upon us and while it’s busy saying, “I’M HERE!” in this rich baritone we’ll all be gasping for breath (being sat upon by July has knocked the wind out of us, naturally) and squeaking out a, “What happened to June?”

Or maybe that’s just me.

Anyhow, it’s time to move into phase one of our altered summer YA Book Club. In July, we’ll be reading a book from the traditional summer reading lists that elementary, middle, and high school kids must power through before school starts. Instead of taking suggestions, I’m going to give you a choice of six classic* summer reading books. (Yes, you’ll probably be rereading versus reading for the first time.)

This is not because I like to assert control, which I admit I do, but because there are way too many possible suggestions, which would probably dilute the vote. So, here are your options for the YA Book Club’s July read:

  
  

Vote for the YA Book Club's July Book
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  • Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
  • A Separate Peace by John Knowles
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


I won’t tell you my choice, though there is one I distinctly remember was part of my required reading. One I loved. One I wouldn’t mind reading again since it’s been so long. But it is now in your hands.

We’ll talk about the book on July 29, so that gives you a good amount of time to read one of these, which are all pretty short anyway.

Have an awesome weekend, guys, and I’ll have the results for you next week.


*Because, you know, summer reading lists today include The Hunger Games and The Fault in Our Stars, which I think is all sorts of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment